Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Horsey Requirement List - Yes, it IS the time.

I'm pretty sure most of us ambitcious horse lovers want to jump or ride dressage in the Olympics.
And if you're not an English rider, let's say you want to take your Western Pleasure, or Barrel Racing to the National Level. Riiight?

Hickstead is my all-time favorite jumper.

Let's just say you do.

Me? I'm not any different. Except for one thing.


I, Abbi Huerta, vow to jump in the Olympics.
And try my veryverysuper best to win the Gold.

I will try to actually do this. ;)

Not. Kidding. AT ALL.


Seriously. And apart of my list of goals to do before I turn 18 is, not surprisingly, get my own horse. Even though I know I will not take my first horse to the Olympics, I would like to take him to rated shows and advance greatly on him.

If in your best interests, dear four readers (love you, btw. I give you all CYBER CUDDLES. If you are not a cuddler, or particularily huggy person, simply CYBER-DODGE my Cyber Cuddles (CC) and give me a comforting CYBER PAT on my cyber-shoulders. ANYWAY...) I will eventually post my list of goals leading toward me becoming *squee* an Olympian! Picture Rainbow Dash squeezing her cheeks:
This picture is 20% Cooler than a mental image.

So, on my list of horsey requirements: (not surprisingly, I have lists for absoloutly everything except groceries. HATE groceries.)

  • Must have good conformation. It's SUPERIMPORTANT that a horse, expessially a jumper, has good confo. It's a must for health and a reliable performance. I'm particularily looking for a horse built and suited to jumping. Go here for a suuuuupppeeerrr epic post about it.
  • Has to be a gelding. I'll go for a mare, but it's not ideal. Geldings have steady temperments, (not all, but more so) and I just love the boys!
  • Color is not that important to me, but my dream horse is a dapple gray, or a coal-black horse with a blaze and socks. CUTE! As long as his temper is sweet, though, he can be rainbow-colored before I care.
  • Stated previously: Sweet temper. <3
  • TB X - Thoroughbreds are built for racing. Athletic and leggy, they are athletes. My favorite breed. <3 However, because people can not leave a good thing un-screwed, they are inbred and rebred for speed. That means thinner bones to last in a two-minute race. Among the things I don't support, including Premarin Drugs (PMU Mares - SO SAD.) horse slaughter, mustang roundups, and other horrible, shady, cheap things EVIL people do to horses, I include flat racing. It itself is not a bad thing! It is not either cheap nor horrible nor evil! But the breeding of the horses, and the hard riding, and riding and breaking the horses, then running at two years old, is not okay with me. See, the thinner bones makes the horse more prone to injury. Expessially the leg bones - the horse's weight, the jockey's weight, and the strain of running super fast on those thin legs is not a good thing for those bones. Breeding just for some disposible speed is not safe, nor responsible. See the North Horse blog post - Here. Btw, LOVE North Horse. http://mytevisjourney.blogspot.com
I digress.

I will be looking for a Thoroughbred cross - probably with Quarter or Arabian, so I don't hurt those thin legs popping over a jump.

  • Must go English.
  • Experience at showing (even a tad) is a must.
  • Must, must go with a light touch. I hatehatehate using crops, I hatehate anything more than a squeeze or an occasional kick. I hate feeling like I'm hurting da baby. I know I'm not, but still. Repetitive kicking squeezes my heart. I'm a softie. It drives my instructor nuts.
Yep, those are my requests. Lol. What say you, four readers? What do you look for in a horse, or looove in yours?

Look at me trying to shamelessly beg comments from you. Isn't it endearing?


20% Cooler requirements,

Always,

- Abbi

2 comments:

  1. Hi there Abbi
    A girl after my own heart! Veeeeerrryyyyy sloooooowwwwwlllllly I'm working towards high-level competitive showjumping (the Dream Goal being, of course, in the next few decades, the Olympics). Right now I have yet to ride in a training show but what's wrong with a little ambition? So I'm training my five-year-old grey Nooitgedachter Sport Horse (www.nooitgedachter.co.za), Arwen. She's only 14.1hh but has a gentle temper and a big heart.
    I already have the awesomest horse in the world - my hackney cross, Skye, who hates jumping but has the most amazing spirit - but my dream competitive horse would be a gorgeous chestnut warmblood by For Joy (www.callaho.com) with a big enough jump and a big enough heart to take us all the way to the top.
    Good luck with finding your dream horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High five! I have yet to actually show, but I love jumping - the feeling of just, that floating, is comparable to nothing else. Going to the top - it's the dream.
      Aww! Arwen and Skye sound like the perfect horses!
      Same to you! I bet by the time you're ready, you'll find the absolute perfect horse to take you for the Gold.

      Thanks!


      - Abbi

      Delete